Ok, so where, why and what does ‘Efrem’ mean?
The boy’s name Efrem \e-frem, ef-rem\ is a variant of Efrain (Spanish, Hebrew) and Ephraim (Hebrew), and the meaning of Efrem is “fruitful”.
According to the Hebrew Bible, the Tribe of Ephraim (Hebrew: אֶפְרַיִם / אֶפְרָיִם, Modern Efráyim Tiberian Ep̄ráyim / Ep̄rāyim ; “double fruitfulness”) was one of the twelve Tribes of Israel. The Tribe of Manasseh together with Ephraim also formed the House of Joseph.
The baby name Efrem sounds like Efrim, Efraim and Ephrem. Other similar baby names are Efren, Efran, Efrat, Efron and Efryn.
Efrem is an uncommon first name for men and an equally uncommon last name for both men and women. (1990 U.S. Census)
So ‘fruitful’ is its meaning…. Obviously not referring to my loins. Well not for now….
There was me expecting my name meant ‘website’ or ‘dreamer’ or ‘impulsive’…..
When I asked my parents Anne (Maiden name Withey) and Jeffrey where my name comes from I was told I was named after: Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. (born November 30, 1918) is an American actor known for his starring roles in the television series 77 Sunset Strip and The F.B.I.
Ok, so I am named after an American actor and it’s also a Jewish name as Ephraim was the son of David so that opens it up a bit more….
When I tell people my name the usual response is ‘oh what an unusual name, are you Welsh?’
Once when I was working at the BBC in my teens I rang someone and left a message and the person taking the message thought I had said my name was Ethel so that’s the most extreme version yet…..
Have had it spelt many ways in emails and letters:
Efron, Efrum, Ethren, Ephraim, Ephram, Evron, Ephrem you name it….
Top pronunciation goes to the legend that is Lenny from La Gaffe in Antibes who I met whilst I was living there in 2007-2009. He just couldn’t remember my name. he was 80 after all, a right character. He finally got my name after a year of me telling him what it was…
EEEEFRAM he used to say… pronounced E Fram, 2 parts
So I have gone through my whole life having to explain where my unusual name comes from and have picked up a few other names on the way:
Ef, Punj, ELeigh, Ace, Effie, Baldy to name but a few….
When I ‘Googled’ Efrem I got 10 results which were varied and here is the breakdown:
• 4 of the first page results were for Efrem Zimbalist Jnr
• The top one was for the meaning of the baby name Efrem
• There was www.efremrentacar.gr a car rental company in Falaraki, Greece
• Efrem Smith a preacher and public speaker from Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA
• Efrem Sigel a journalist, editor and founder, with his wife Frederica, of two business publishing companies in Greenwich Village, New York City, USA
• Efrem Wilder a musician and not a bad song on his website www.efremwilder.com
• Efrem, a myspace page which when I visited it opened up warning and alerts for worms and warnings from McAfee so don’t touch that one !